Kerch Strait : Crimean Peninsula
The Kerch Strait, being 3.1-15m wide, connects the Black Sea and the Sea of Azov, separating the Kerch Peninsula of Crimea in the west from the Taman Peninsula of Russia's Krasnodar Krai in the East.
In antiquity, there seem to have been a group of islands intersected by arms of the Kuban River (Hypanis) and various sounds which have since silted up. The Romans knew the strait as the Cimmerian Bosporus from its Greek name, the Cimmerian Strait, which honored the Cimmerians, nearby steppe nomads.
During the WWII, the Kerch Peninsula became the scene of much desperate combat between forces of the Soviet Red Army and Germany. Fighting frequency intensified in the coldest months of year when the strait froze over, allowing the movement of troops over the ice.
In 1944 the Soviets built a "provisional" railway bridge across the strait. Construction made use of supplies captured from the Germans. The bridge went into operation in November 1944, but moving ice floes destroyed it in February 1945; reconstruction was not attempted.
The Taman Peninsula (Bottom : East) in the present-day Krasnodar Krai of Russia, borders on the north with the Sea of Azov (Right : North), on the west with the Strait of Kerch (Center) and on the south with the Black Sea (Left : South) The area has evolved over the past two millennia from a chain of islands into today's peninsula. In ancient times the Pontic Greek colonies of Hermonassa and Phanagoria stood on the peninsula, as did the later city of Tmutarakan.
In antiquity, the Sea of Azov (Right : North) was usually known as the Maeotis Swamp from the marshlands to its northeast. The mouth of the Tanais River served as an important check on the migration of nomadic people from the Eurasian steppelands.
- Geo-Historical Text : Wikipedia
- Calculations : WolframAlpha Pro
- Satellite Imagery: ESRI ArcGIS
Overlay Source Image: NASA Johnson