Banks Peninsula : New Zealand
Akaroa Harbour is part of Banks Peninsula (Center) in the Canterbury Region of New Zealand. The name Akaroa is Kāi Tahu Māori for "Long Harbour". Ōnawe Peninsula is at the head of the harbour, the former site of a Māori pā. The entire harbour is the caldera of an extinct volcano.
Christchurch (Left) is the largest city in the South Island of New Zealand and the seat of the Canterbury Region. The Christchurch urban area lies on the South Island's east coast, just north of Banks Peninsula. It is home to 381,800 residents, making it New Zealand's third most-populous urban area behind Auckland and Wellington.
The city was named by the Canterbury Association, which settled the surrounding province of Canterbury. The name of Christchurch was agreed on at the first meeting of the association on 27 March 1848. It was suggested by John Robert Godley, who had attended Christ Church, Oxford. Some early writers called the town Christ Church, but it was recorded as Christchurch in the minutes of the management committee of the association. Christchurch became a city by Royal Charter on 31 July 1856, making it officially the oldest established city in New Zealand.
Lake Ellesmere (Bottom : Overlap) is a broad, shallow lagoon located directly to the west of Banks Peninsula (East at Top), separated from the Pacific Ocean by the long narrow Kaitorete Spit. It lies partially in extreme southeastern Selwyn District and partially in the southwestern extension of the former Banks Peninsula District, which now (since 2006) is a ward in the city of Christchurch. (Boundary visible on underlying topo-basemap) The lake holds high historical and cultural significance to the indigenous Māori population and the traditional Māori name Te Waihora, means spreading waters. It has officially had a dual English/Māori name since at least 1938.
- Geo-Historical Text : Wikipedia
- Calculations : WolframAlpha Pro
- Satellite Imagery: ESRI ArcGIS
Overlay Source Image: NASA Johnson